Remember when I told you guys that we had a bunch of new stuff lined up for you this week? Here’s another one! I’m proud to introduce The Daly Planet Book Club. The idea with this one is simple, especially if you belong to any other book clubs:
- We will select a book to read – this first time around the Daly Planet staff has selected the book, but in the future we will allow the community to select and vote on the chosen book.
- We will divide the book into digestible sections and assign a due date for each section. We plan to give about two weeks for each ~200 page section to ensure everyone has plenty of time to read no matter their schedule.
- You go out and buy the book (or go to a library because apparently those still exist).
- We (and you!) will read the book up to the end of the designated section prior to the due date.
- You will submit thoughts, discussion questions, opinions, whatever you want to us via email@example.com or through Twitter: @dalyplanetfilms
- A few Daly Planet staffers will meet up and discuss the section of the book during an episode of the Weekly Planet Podcast, which will include talking about all the discussion questions, opinions, etc that YOU sent in.
- You listen to the podcast and pretend like you’re famous after we read your question out loud on the internets. And also enjoy listening to an in depth discussion by our wonderful Podcasters
- Repeat as necessary until the book is done.
That’s it! Just a really fun way to read a book and get to share your opinion with some fellow story lovers. Please feel free to share the book club with your friends and family. Everyone that loves books is welcome to join!
As I mentioned above, this first time around we have selected the book for you guys. Here it is!
Wool by Hugh Howey
In a ruined and toxic future, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them. Sheriff Holston, who has unwaveringly upheld the silo’s rules for years, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: He asks to go outside.
Look out next week for the official announcement regarding our timetable for Wool. In the meantime, go out and get the book and get a head start! We’ve gone ahead and put a handy Amazon link for you below. Did you know that every time you buy something from Amazon through that link, we get a portion of the sales at no extra expense to you? It’s an awesome way to help us out with our hosting costs while not costing you a dime!
Thanks as always for your help and support. We cannot wait to talk books with all of you!